The firm practices exclusively in the field of Intellectual Property (IP) and offers a truly complete suite of IP legal services, including:
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LEGAL ADVISORY SERVICES
· Provision of Advice and Opinions on trade marks, patents, copyright, industrial designs, geographic indications, circuit layout designs, confidential information, trade secrets and other Malaysian intellectual property laws and rights issues.
· Provision of Advice and Opinions on Intellectual Property and Employer / Employee issues, e.g. theft or misappropriation of source codes, client lists and other IP; ownership of IP created during employment; unfair competition etc.
· Intellectual Property Due Diligence e.g. during acquisition of IP or the business
· Provision of Advice and Crisis Management support in the event of Product or Brand libel, defamation or other negative publicity.
· Negotiation and Drafting of Intellectual Property Agreements, including Licenses, Assignments, Non-Disclosure Agreements etc.
Intelligence Reports (Identification of competitor Intellectual Property rights
and trends within
· Provision of Advice and Opinions on Web and E-Commerce Related IP / Cyberlaw issues
· Provision of advice on Product registration
· Provision of advice on Franchising, including drafting and vetting of Agreements for the registration of Franchises in Malaysia
REGISTRATION OF TRADE MARKS, PATENTS AND INDUSTRIAL DESIGNS
· We are licensed to represent Applicants before the Registries of Trade Marks, Patents and Industrial Designs in Malaysia (MyIPO)
· We are licensed to represent Applicants for Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Applications
· We are licensed to handle PCT National Phase applications in Malaysia
· We provide advice on the inherent registrability of brands, designs and inventions
· We conduct comprehensive and conclusive searches to advice on the availability of trade marks, designs and inventions for registration
· We advice on overcoming Objections, Citations or Rejections issued by the Registry
· We can represent you at hearings before the Registrar or help you prepare your written submissions
· We provide representation in Trademark Opposition proceedings
· We provide advice on whether your Work qualifies for Copyright protection, and if not, how it can qualify
· We draft the Statutory Declarations and related documents necessary to evidence your ownership of Copyright
· We can negotiate, structure and draft the Agreements and other Documents required for effective commercialization of Copyright works through Licenses and Assignments
· We can assist in the registration of Domain Names
· We provide representation in Domain Name Dispute Resolution proceedings
· One of our partners is a Panelist for MYDRP (Malaysian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Procedure) administered by the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
· We advice and assist in the recovery of misappropriated domain names through legal action
ENFORCEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
· We provide advice and assistance in monitoring infringement and counterfeiting activities.
· We coordinate and assist in official enforcement activities, including raids and prosecutions.
AT THE MALAYSIAN COURTS
· We provide representation in civil matters at the Intellectual Property Court, other High Courts and above (Trade Mark infringement, Passing-Off, Rectification of the Register, Design infringement, Patent infringement, Copyright infringement, Invalidation, Judicial assignment etc)
· We provide representation in respect of offences tried in the Sessions Court (e.g. offences under the Copyright Act, Food Act and Trade Descriptions Act)
· We provide second opinions, counsel and other litigation services.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
· Qualified and accredited Arbitrator available for appointment
· Qualified and accredited Mediator available for appointment
· We also provide advice and representation in the Mediation or Arbitration of IP disputes
Benjamin J. Thompson
LL.B (Hons) (London), CLP, LL.M (Malaya), MCIArb
& Solicitor (
Registered Trade Mark Agent
Registered Patent Agent
Registered Industrial Designs Agent
Member of the
Haneeta Kaur Gill
LL.B (Hons) (Liverpool), CLP
Advocate & Solicitor (
Registered Trade Mark Agent
Registered Industrial Designs Agent
(Please Note New Address w.e.f. 1st February 2008)
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 6203 1318
Fax: +603 6203 1317
We are currently looking for suitable candidates to join our expanding Team of Intellectual Property professionals:
Senior Associate: Advocate & Solicitor. Minimum 5 years PQE in IP Litigation and Enforcement. Partnership possible for the right candidate. Candidates with extensive civil litigation experience who would like to specialize in IP may also apply. All enquiries and applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Chambering Students: Excellent spoken and written English; keen interest in specializing in Intellectual Property law.
Attachment / Internship (Part Time / Full Time): Positions also available for law students who would like to have the experience of working in a law firm during their holidays or semester breaks.
Admin Assistants: Fresh school leavers welcome. Also suitable for part-time law students who wish to gain experience concurrently with their studies.
For all positions, please send a full resume and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
We have received email enquiries from prudent Netizens around the world, regarding suspicious emails purportedly originating either from a ‘Thompson Lee’ or email@example.com, attempting to scam them in relation to deposits allegedly left behind by deceased clients. The email addresses and telephone numbers provided in the emails do not belong to our firm. Reports with the police and the Malaysian Bar have been lodged. We would advise you too to lodge police reports if you have received further communication (including bank account numbers) from the scammer, in order that prompt action can be taken against them. The Malaysian Bar maintains an online directory on their website at www.malaysianbar.org.my to enable the public to look up lawyers who are qualified and licensed to practice in Malaysia, as well as to verify their official contact information.
Last updated on 1st March 2009